OUR DEMENTIA FRIENDLY SING AND PLAY MUSIC SESSIONS HAVE BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. WE ARE CURRENTLY DEVELOPING VIRTUAL SESSIONS. WE ARE ALSO OFFERING OUR MUSICAL BOX SCHEME , A FREE SERVICE OFFERING REMOTE SESSIONS WITH A FACILITATOR AND RESOURCES. PLEASE CONTACT US AT email@example.com FOR MORE DETAILS.
Open Strings Music runs 'Sing and Play', a free weekly dementia-friendly creative music session for people of all abilities, commissioned by NHS Brighton & Hove CCG between 2016 & 2020.
They create an inclusive and supportive space for people living with dementia and their carers. The sessions are intentionally designed to improve cognition and dexterity, increase health and wellbeing, reduce social isolation and support people living with dementia and their carers to remain active in the community for longer.
They do this by:
• Their fun, gentle and inclusive approach – no musical experience is necessary
• Providing a safe and supported space for people to meet, make new friends and develop social networks
• Providing two experienced facilitators and volunteers to ensure that they can offer high quality one to one interactions within the group setting
• Singing familiar repertoire and new songs together
• Exploring instruments and sounds
• Exploring playful and non-verbal ways to interact and communicate
• Including gentle movement and body work in their sessions, such as cross-lateral actions promoting connection between right and left hemispheres of the brain, helping to keep the brain functional and decelerate the process for dementia
• Supporting participants to find ways to integrate music into their daily lives outside of sessions.
Interactive/Participatory Music Making - Groups
10:45 to 12:00
Brooke Mead Extra Care Scheme, Albion Street, Brighton
[Last updated: 2020-04-01 12:54:02]